The first recorded lord of the manor was Cospatric de Samlesbury, who is believed to have lived in the Lower Hall on the banks of the river Ribble. In the absence of male heirs during the 13th Century, the manor was divided between the two granddaughters, Elizabeth and Cecily de Samlesbury.
Cecily married John Deuyas (D'Ewyas) they had a daughter Alicia, who married Gilbert de Southworth around 1325. Gilbert adopted the Deuyas coat of arms, and is credited with building the Great Hall, their descendants held the moiety of the manor until 1677/78, when it was sold to the Bradylls, who rented out the Hall to handloom weavers, before being converted into the 'Bradyll Arms'
Thomas Cooper was the next owner, and between 1852 and 1862 the Hall was used as a school. When Joseph Harrison bought the estate he spent a large amount of money restoring the Hall.
Sadly the Hall was left onto ruin, and in 1924 a building firm bought the Hall with the intention of demolishing it and erecting a housing estate. However, meetings were held, money was raised, and Samlesbury Higher Hall was purchased for the benefit of the public. It has been administered by Samlesbury Hall Trust since 1925.